Even though Hillary Clinton lost the war (although winning the battle), I still admire her extensive travels as Secretary of State—and not one trip to a golf course, which is more than any of our golfing presidents can say. What is it about boys and their little balls?
I read somewhere that Hillary had traveled to 120 countries in her life. I vowed to top that because then I would have traveled to more countries than the President!—sometimes things don’t quite work out as expected. Anyway, I couldn’t figure out how to make it to quite 120 so maybe it’s just as well… Not.
Here are my plans though. If I stay healthy, employed, US citizens are still granted visas, and “the creek don’t rise” (as in one more melting glacier), I could still almost get to 120—although that is not really my goal. Really my goal is to go there and there and there.
This Plan for the rest of My Big Travel Life accomplishes the following:
- One last trip to Africa to visit friends scattered far and wide on that grand and amazing continent: Boyzie in South Africa, Panaibra in Mozambique, Antoine in Senegal, Hafiz and Aicha in Tunisia, Jill in Uganda, Faustin and Virginie in the DRC, and somebody in Zimbabwe. This is not a trip for new passport stamps; this is a trip to see places and people I love, many of whom I may not see again.
- Far far South. Patagonia (maybe a hiking, exploring trip with family) and the Antarctic. I think I must go to the Antarctic to balance a final far-north adventure. I could stop off in Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and those little ones off in the northeast corner of South America that no one ever goes to except the odd cult or wanderer…which would result in some new passport stamps!
- Far far North. Lapland (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia), Svalbard, Greenland (please one more time…) and extra time in Norway to visit my cousins.
- The Stan Countries by rail: Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. Quite likely Afghanistan and Pakistan will not be doable. And if the Turnip is around much longer, I doubt Americans will be welcome in any of the above. If I were a praying person, impeachment would be item number one on my pleading list.
- Last, and actually least, in order of my desires: Southeast and South Asia. Especially Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Burma on one trip and a second that includes Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh, and the big kid on the block, India.
There it is. The Wish List. After that I can retire and only visit California, Minnesota, and Norway. Maybe London and Paris. Maybe by train and bus everywhere in Canada. It’s good to have dreams…
“Alice laughed: “There’s no use trying,” she said; “one can’t believe impossible things.” “I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
At N4th this week, Ugandan dancers. Just spiked my travel fever…